Templiers du Larzac

Templars of Larzac

La Cavalerie, La Couvertoirade, Sainte-Eulalie de Cernon and the Tour du Viala du Pas de Jaux bear witness to the presence of the Knights Templar in the 12th century.

ADDRESS Larzac Templar and Hospitaller ConservatoryImmeuble Jean-Henri Fabre - Place Bion Marlavagne - 12100 MILLAUTel. 05 65 59 12 22 - Fax. 05 65 60 63 24Email: [email protected]
These sites make up the Circuit du Larzac Templier et Hospitalier, including the small Cistercian fort at Saint-Jean d'Alcas, which was under the control of an abbess who authorised the population to build fortifications in the 15th century to protect themselves.They are part of the area covered by the Causses and Cévennes World Heritage nomination.
MORE INFOThe Knights Templar and Hospitaller In the 12th century, the Knights Templar took possession of the Larzac plateau thanks to donations of land made to their order, the income from which was used to maintain the knights in the Holy Land. To ensure the safety of the local inhabitants, they created the Commanderies of Sainte-Eulalie-de-Cernon, La Cavalerie, La Couvertoirade and Le Viala-du-Pas-de-Jaux; these villages, which the Hospitallers inherited when the Order of the Temple was suppressed by the Pope in 1312, were fortified in the 15th century. The Hospitallers managed them for five centuries.